Flood Warnings and Advisories
High Streamflow Advisory - Central Coast & North Coast (MAINTAINED)
ISSUED: 10:30 AM November 4, 2020
The River Forecast Centre is maintaining a High Streamflow Advisory for:
- Central Coast including Bella Coola River and tributaries, Kingcome River, Owikeeno/Rivers Inlet and surrounding areas
- North Coast including tributaries around Stewart, Nass Valley, Terrace, Prince Rupert, Kitimat surrounding areas
Heavy rain last week along the North Coast and Central Coast led to high flow conditions. Flows began receding over the weekend until additional rainfall of 20 to 60 mm fell in the region on Monday and Tuesday. Rivers are rising again in response to the recent rain. Additional rain forecast for Wednesday evening and Thursday morning may lead to additional rises on rivers.
The public is advised to stay clear of the fast-flowing rivers and potentially unstable riverbanks during the high-streamflow period.
The River Forecast Centre continues to monitor the conditions and provides updates as conditions warrant.
Contact for Media Relations, Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development:
Tel: 250 356-7506
Levels of Warnings/Advisories:
- High Streamflow Advisory: River levels are rising or expected to rise rapidly, but that no major flooding is expected. Minor flooding in low-lying areas is possible. This is the lowest level.
- Flood Watch: River levels are rising and will approach or may exceed bankfull. Flooding of areas adjacent to affected rivers may occur. This is the intermediate level.
- Flood Warning: River levels have exceeded bankfull or will exceed bankfull imminently, and that flooding of areas adjacent to the rivers affected will result. This is the highest level.
- Home of River Forecast Centre
- Current Streamflow Conditions and Flood Forecast Modeling
- Map of Current Streamflow Return Periods for All WSC Stations
- CLEVER Model 10-day Forecasts of Discharges and Return Periods
- COFFEE Model 5-day Forecasts of Discharges and Return Periods
- Back to page of Flood Warnings and Advisories